The Woody Shaw Institute of Global Arts
THE WOODY SHAW INSTITUTE OF GLOBAL ARTS
"...is dedicated to the youth who will benefit mankind. To the youth who are constantly aware of the turmoil in which the world is and who are trying to right all these wrongs — whether in music or in speech or in any other way of positive work." —(Woody Shaw, Blackstone Legacy, 1970.)
THE WOODY SHAW INSTITUTE OF GLOBAL ARTS is a new entity-in-formation that exists for the study, preservation, and advancement of Woody Shaw's artistic legacy. The Institute is a subsidiary of WOODY SHAW LEGACY LLC — and is the first and only official philanthropic or educational entity to represent the life's work and legacy of late trumpet master and musical innovator, Woody Shaw (1944-1989).
The Institute currently exists as a fiscal sponsorship project of Fractured Atlas (a 501c3 nonprofit umbrella organization) — and as such all contributions made to the Institute are fully eligible to receive tax-deductible contributions. — Click Here to Make A Tax-Deductible Gift or Donation.
Official programs, projects, and plans of the Institute will be announced in the second half of 2017. Please Note: The Institute is not a charitable foundation or granting organization and does not give out funds at this time.
- To honor and preserve the name, life story, artistry and positive social message of late musical visionary, trumpet innovator, bandleader, arranger and composer Woody Shaw (1944-1989).
- To increase international awareness, appreciation, and understanding of Woody Shaw's life work and contribution to American culture.
- To ensure the ongoing performance and study of Woody Shaw's original music — and of his unparalleled contributions to the trumpet — by new and diverse audiences around the world.
- To support the creation of new works (musical, audiovisual, literary, cinematic, educational, technological) inspired by his creative vision.
- To uphold Woody Shaw's unique standards of excellence, innovation, and integrity — and to support the development and cultivation of positive humanistic ideals through education, artistic expression, activism, outreach, cross-cultural collaboration and "any other forms of positive work" that help inspire and uplift the human condition.
HOW CAN I CONTRIBUTE?
GIFTS & CASH DONATIONS
If you would like to help fund or contribute to the The Woody Shaw Institute, you can make a tax-deductible gift of any amount to the Institute through our 501c3 fiscal sponsor (Click Here to Make A Gift).
Your support will assist us with the necessary development, administration, documentation, and overhead to get the Institute up and running by 2018.
Once you click the above link, click the "Donate Now" button on the following page.
DONATE BY CHECK
If you would like to write a check please contact us and we will provide instructions for how to make out a check to the Institute.
Another way to support the development of The Woody Shaw Institute is to specifically help fund one the many "projects" associated with the ongoing preservation of Woody Shaw's legacy — such as the Woody Shaw biography project, the Woody Shaw documentary film project, the Woody Shaw oral history project, or the Woody Shaw transcription digitization project.
CREATE YOUR OWN PROJECT
In addition, if there is a specific aspect or area of Woody Shaw's legacy that you would like to commemorate through The Woody Shaw Institute and would like to support, then just send us a proposal of your project and your funding offer. We will work with you to build something that celebrates Woody Shaw's legacy, that honors your vision, and is truly worthy of your generous support.
You can also donate to the Institute through in-kind support in the form of physical assets, merchandise, and digital goods.
Sign up for news and updates about The Woody Shaw Institute of Global Arts.